Friday, February 11

Startling Sights

I'm rather tired of the snow now. I have never been one to find it too magical and inspiring. Don't get me wrong, I have seen pretty mornings with clean, new fallen snow that glitters with the sunlight pouring over it. But I'm a rainy day kind of person. I think the smell of rain is wonderful. It's clean and refreshing. Whenever rain falls the air becomes better it seems. The sound of a quiet day with the patter of rain on the rooftop is a pleasing one to me. So, needless to say, I am very ready for Spring.

Today has been a rather busy day. When I got off work this morning I started doing errands and shopping around for items I needed here at home. A few blocks from home I was travelling to Walgreen's when I noticed a wobbly pedestrian crossing through moving traffic! The hair on the back of my neck stood on end as I watched, stopped at the perpendicular red light. He was boldly, or stupidly was more my line of thought at the time, walking out and past cars as they slammed on their breaks and swerved to miss him diving out there. When he approached the median, to my surprise, he slammed face first going full speed into the "Do Not UTurn" sign in his path. That moment was when his white cane was placed into my line of sight! He kept on going as quickly as he could, the giant pole to the face not phasing him it seemed, as he continued to wander across the lanes. I understand one's desire to be as independent as possible and self sufficiency , but I could only think how insane this entire situation looked and was unfolding! He made it without another collision, and my light turned green. And as I pulled into the parking lot at Walgreen's, THERE HE WAS AGAIN! Sliding around on the ice and walking out in front of more vehicles! I stopped right there in the middle of the aisle, not sure what to do. I tried to advance to the left, and he swerved the same way. So I spun my wheel around and went right, he wobbled right while he was slapping his white stick about him. Though he could not allegedly SEE ME, it was like his stick had a magnet pulling him into cars! Completely crazy! And terrifying! And any time someone stopped to talk to him, he would shake his head as if he was declining any help. Freaked me out for the rest of the evening thinking about that man wandering around the city amidst moving traffic!

No comments:

Post a Comment